Go Ahead, Ask Me a Question


Your question has been submitted and will be answered shortly.

Tuesday, December 17, 2019

My Thoughts: CIO Magazine Article Names Top Skills


Earlier this year a list of top SAP-related certifications was compiled by CIO Magazine. Here’s what my list would’ve contained.

Subscribe to my Video Updates
Request a Free Consultation



Today I want to discuss an article written earlier this year that I recently read in CIO Magazine. It’s called, “The 10 IT Skills Paying the Highest Premiums Today,” by Sarah White.

Now, there were things in this article that I agreed with, things that I disagreed with, and things I was surprised to see left out entirely.

Do bear in mind that the data informing the article was collected by European company Foot Partners, so it may be less relevant to the U.S.

Here are the 10 certifications mentioned in the article: 

1. SAP Environmental, Health and Safety (EHS)
2. General Data Protection Regulation
3. Lawson, an ERP software competing with SAP.
4. SAP Forecasting and Replenishment.
5. SAP Point-of-Sale Data Management
6. SAP Financial Services
7. Java Software Development
8. Microsoft Visio (a data visualization program)
9. Data visualization tools such as Tableau
10. Quantitative analysis, regression analysis, and interpreting big data

It could be that there are notable differences between the North American and European markets, but I was shocked to see that the Internet of Things and connectivity had been left off the list, along with AI and predictive analytics and robot process automation.

Also missing from the list were the in-demand skills of cybersecurity, identity and access management, governance, risk, and compliance. 

I would have included others like e-commerce and hybrid cloud projects. Clients are always chasing talent with these certifications and are willing to supply them with an enviable income.

Lastly, within SAP, we’re seeing more demand for Hybris, Callidus Cloud, and Qualtrics—something the article did not mention.

Meanwhile, EHS, the list’s No. 1 spot, strikes me as an interesting selection. We just honestly don’t see a lot of demand for SAP EHS skills.

I encourage you to read the article for yourselves. Email me if you have any questions or thoughts, I’d love to see what you agreed or disagreed with.