Go Ahead, Ask Me a Question


Your question has been submitted and will be answered shortly.

Monday, July 22, 2019

3 Business Lessons I Learned From the Astros


The Houston Astros are not only my favorite baseball team, but they’re also great teachers of business. Here’s what I mean.


I’m a big Astros fan, but their recent World Series title isn’t the only thing they’ve given me to smile about. They’ve also taught me a lot about business, and I think there are three things that all hiring authorities can learn from the Houston Astros:

1. Rebuilding. The Astros literally went from worst to first in less than five years. How did they do it? They recognized the need for a rebuild if they wanted to achieve their ultimate goal. Human capital is the No. 1 predictor of their success, which is true of our organizations as well. The people that we hire and build our organizations around are our top asset.

2. Embrace the new generation. The Astros did this, and it went on to lead them to a World Series. How can you hire the next generation to impact your business positively? The Astros brought on players like George Springer, Alex Bregman, and Carlos Correa to rebuild themselves into a dynasty.



I recommend tunneling your focus into one or two positions.



3. Tunnel focus. A hitter like Jose Altuve has to focus on hitting one ball and making contact. If he has to start focusing on multiple balls at once, he’s not going to hit anything, even though he’s a great hitter. In hiring, we try to do everything all at once and it leads us nowhere. I recommend focusing on one or two positions that can most dramatically impact the organization. Prioritize the most critical needs first and just move down the list. This will give you a much better result.

I hope this has given you some good ideas for your organization. If you have any questions for us in the meantime, don’t hesitate to give us a call or send us an email. We look forward to hearing from you soon.